Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Preemptive resignation letter

To Whom It May Concern,


    Thank you for the implied opportunity to some day work for your software company, Basecamp. However, it is with some frustration that I must preemptively hand in my resignation. Please consider this however much notice you require that I will not be applying to work at your company. Ever.

   As per your blog post, your company has introduced a rule against 'societal and political discussions on our company Basecamp account'. However, as has been pointed out by other non-binary developers and tech workers, as soon as we introduce ourselves and inform people of how to address us, we are already treading that line. And none of us need that in our lives. And, of course, this is only one example of how, for many of us, these discussions are not a matter of opinion, or conversations we can just choose to not have.

  I wish you all the best in your future as a company peopled by cis white able men, and cis white able women in non-technical roles, who are, at best, bad allies to the rest of us. However, I should warn you that if I am ever in a position to actually use your software I will argue strongly in favour of an alternative built on a more stable social platform.


Regards,
Sorcha (they/them)










Inspiration:

No comments:

Post a Comment